[lxc-users] Question about your storage on multiple LXC/LXD nodes

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 14:53:05 UTC 2016

We do it slightly differently.  We run LXD containers on Ubuntu 16.04 Virtual Machines (inside a virtualized infrastructure).  Each physical server has redundant network links to highly-available storage.  Thus, we don't have to migrate containers between LXD servers; instead we migrate the Ubuntu VM to another server/storage pool.  Additionally, we use BTRFS snapshots inside the Ubuntu server to quickly restore backups for the LXD containers themselves.

So far, everything has been rock solid.  The LXD containers work great inside Ubuntu VMs (performance, scale, etc).  In the unlikely event we have to migrate an LXD container from one server to another, we will simply do an LXD copy (with a small maintenance window).

As an aside: I have tried gluster, ceph, and even DRBD in the past w/out much success.  Eventually, we went back to NFSv3 servers for performance/stability.  I am looking into setting up an HA NFSv4 config to address the single point of failure with NFS v3 setups.

-Ron