[lxc-users] not able to run glxdemo from inside lxc container

manik sheeri sheeri185adidam at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 21:09:06 UTC 2016

I have created lxc container of our custom toolchain that has many
packages. Related to graphics, I have installed nvidia 367.27 driver using
the nvidia installer inside this container(called mk7icontainer)

The nvidia driver libraries/binaries are installed at path
/usr/share/nvidia path
inside this container.

I have also installed mesa installed in path /usr inside container.

I compiled the glxdemo source code using the command as:

gcc -g glxdemo.c -Wl,--rpath-link,/usr/share/nvidia/lib
-Wl,-rpath,/usr/share/nvidia/lib \
-Wl,--rpath-link,/usr/share/nvidia/lib/tls
-Wl,-rpath,/usr/share/nvidia/lib/tls \
-Wl,--rpath-link,/usr/share/nvidia/lib/vdpau
-Wl,-rpath,/usr/share/nvidia/lib/vdpau \
-Wl,--rpath-link,/usr/share/nvidia/lib/xorg/modules
-Wl,-rpath,/usr/share/nvidia/lib/xorg/modules \
-Wl,--rpath-link,/usr/share/nvidia/lib/xorg/modules/drivers
-Wl,-rpath,/usr/share/nvidia/lib/xorg/modules/drivers \
-Wl,--rpath-link,/usr/share/nvidia/lib/xorg/modules/extensions
-Wl,-rpath,/usr/share/nvidia/lib/xorg/modules/extensions -lX11 -lGL
-lGLU -lglut -lm -o glxdemo

Inside the container, I have

DISPLAY=":0"
XAUTHORITY=/root/.Xauthority

I am starting the bash in the container using below command:

sudo lxc-attach -n mk7icontainer --clear-env  -- /usr/bin/bash

My host machine is running Ubuntu 16.0.4 and I installed the same nvidia
367.27 driver using its installer. It is running fine. I can even run
glxdemo on host machine without any issues.

However, when I try to run glxdemo inside the container ( compiled using
above mentioned command), I get the following error:

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
for operation)
Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
Value in failed request:  0x0
Serial number of failed request:  24

anyone got any idea what is wrong here?

Source code for glxdemo is :

#include <GL/gl.h>
#include <GL/glx.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
static void redraw( Display *dpy, Window w )
{
   printf("Redraw event\n");
   glClear( GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT );

   glColor3f( 1.0, 1.0, 0.0 );
   glRectf( -0.8, -0.8, 0.8, 0.8 );
   glXSwapBuffers( dpy, w );
}

static void resize( unsigned int width, unsigned int height )
{
   printf("Resize event\n");
   glViewport( 0, 0, width, height );
   glMatrixMode( GL_PROJECTION );
   glLoadIdentity();
   glOrtho( -1.0, 1.0, -1.0, 1.0, -1.0, 1.0 );
}

static Window make_rgb_db_window( Display *dpy,
                              unsigned int width, unsigned int height )
{
   int attrib[] = { GLX_RGBA,
                    GLX_RED_SIZE, 1,
                    GLX_GREEN_SIZE, 1,
                    GLX_BLUE_SIZE, 1,
                    GLX_DOUBLEBUFFER,
                    None };
   int scrnum;
   XSetWindowAttributes attr;
   unsigned long mask;
   Window root;
   Window win;
   GLXContext ctx;
   XVisualInfo *visinfo;

   scrnum = DefaultScreen( dpy );
   root = RootWindow( dpy, scrnum );

   visinfo = glXChooseVisual( dpy, scrnum, attrib );
   if (!visinfo) {
      printf("Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual\n");
      exit(1);
   }

   /* window attributes */
   attr.background_pixel = 0;
   attr.border_pixel = 0;
   attr.colormap = XCreateColormap( dpy, root, visinfo->visual, AllocNone);
   attr.event_mask = StructureNotifyMask | ExposureMask;
   mask = CWBackPixel | CWBorderPixel | CWColormap | CWEventMask;

   win = XCreateWindow( dpy, root, 0, 0, width, height,
                    0, visinfo->depth, InputOutput,
                    visinfo->visual, mask, &attr );

   printf("\n XCreateWindow successfull \n");
   ctx = glXCreateContext( dpy, visinfo, NULL, True );
   if (!ctx) {
      printf("Error: glXCreateContext failed\n");
      exit(1);
   }

        printf("\n glXCreateContext successfull \n");

   glXMakeCurrent( dpy, win, ctx );

   return win;
}

static void event_loop( Display *dpy )
{
   XEvent event;

   while (1) {
      XNextEvent( dpy, &event );

      switch (event.type) {
         case Expose:
            redraw( dpy, event.xany.window );
            break;
         case ConfigureNotify:
            resize( event.xconfigure.width, event.xconfigure.height );
            break;
      }
   }
}

int main( int argc, char *argv[] )
{
   Display *dpy;
   Window win;

   dpy = XOpenDisplay(NULL);
        if(!dpy)
        {
                printf("\nError in XOpenDisplay\n");
        }
        printf("\nXOpenDisplay successfull\n");

   win = make_rgb_db_window( dpy, 300, 300 );

   printf("\nmake_rgb_db_window successfull \n");
   glShadeModel( GL_FLAT );
   glClearColor( 0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 1.0 );

   XMapWindow( dpy, win );

   event_loop( dpy );