[lxc-users] LXC/LXD snapshot maintenance

Ronald Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Fri May 27 13:39:42 UTC 2016

Greetings all,

Wondering if anyone has an existing tool they use to manage BTRFS LXC/LXD snapshots.  I could write my own script but was hoping I could leverage something already written (ie: “snapper” like functionality for LXC).  We need to keep 7 days’ snapshots then creating a tar archive of day 7 and push it to our backup server.  Once the tar file has shipped to the backup server remove all snapshots > 7 days.

As an aside, I feel the the LXC/LXD snapshot feature is not as usable as the BTRFS tool.  Creating the snapshot is easy (lxc snapshot <container>), but listing or deleting the snapshots use different syntax (lxc info <container> |grep snapshot).  Perhaps future versions of the LXC/LXD command-line tool can make it easier for snapshot maintenance.  Something like:

lxc snapshot create <container> <snap_name>
lxc snapshot list <container>
lxc snapshot delete <container>/<snap>

Just my $0.02

-Ron