[lxc-users] lxc-create fragile with respect to network failures during package download?

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Thu May 19 09:49:58 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 1:50 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:

> The first time, it failed with
> W: Couldn't download package insserv (ver 1.14.0-5ubuntu3 arch amd64)
> I: Retrieving iproute2 4.3.0-1ubuntu3
> W: Couldn't download package iproute2 (ver 4.3.0-1ubuntu3 arch amd64)
> E: Couldn't download packages: iproute2 insserv
> Delete subvolume (no-commit): '/var/cache/lxc/xenial/partial-amd64'
> lxc-create: lxccontainer.c: create_run_template: 1290 container
> creation template for rbb-ubu1604-1-ubu1604 failed

Either way, should lxc-create be so willing to abort on package
> download failure, or should it sleep and retry a bit somehow?

IMHO that behavior is correct. The ubuntu template uses debootstrap, so
whatever you're seing is debootstrap's response.

I suggest you use the download template instead (-t download), which would
basically get a tar file with preconfigured packages. It would help if your
problem was on 'creating new connection phase' (which sometimes would
happen if say ... your ISP employs a transparent http cache) or 'partial
inconsistent mirror' (since you'd only be getting a few files), plus it'd
be much faster (no need for package install and configure phase after
download)

--
Fajar