[lxc-users] How to setup a static IP in a container with LX[C|D] 2.0.0.*

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 16:15:35 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Sean McNamara <smcnam at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Stéphane Graber <stgraber at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Our stance hasn't changed. LXD doesn't know nor care about layer-3
>> networking, all it does is setup your layer-2.
>>
>> Having LXD pre-initialize your network namespace confuses the heck out
>> of a bunch of distros which expect all network to be unconfigured by the
>> time they apply their own config (they don't clean things up so
>> duplicate entries lead to failure).
>

> Okay.
>
> As someone migrating from OpenVZ (and before that, VMware), one
> important use case I was expecting of LXD is that of multi-tenant
> boxes, where you need to give root access to a container to the
> "tenant", and expect them to adhere to a Terms of Service agreement,
> but need to have technical mitigations in place, so that even if they
> decide to violate the ToS (or innocently have their box hacked by a
> malicious third-party who decides to violate the ToS), access to other
> containers and the physical box (host OS) is very difficult to
> impossible (pending any undiscovered vulnerabilities or host-side
> misconfiguration).
>
> As part of that, I was expecting some way to tell LXD to restrict the
> IP addresses that can be claimed/used by a given container. For
> instance, if I have a public Internet IPv4 /26 allocated to a physical
> host by a hosting provider, I'll want to assign only one or two IP
> addresses to each container. Currently, I can have an LXD container
> just spuriously decide to use any arbitrary IP, and I haven't found a
> way to prevent it from doing that if an untrusted user has root access
> in the container. They can just run ifconfig and specify the IP
> address they want to use.
>
> How can I configure the host environment (LXD or something else on the
> host, assuming I'm running a very recent Ubuntu 16.04 Beta nightly) so

Just wanted to clarify that I am *not* using or intending to use a
pre-release of 16.04 in a production environment. I'm currently
satisfied with LXD 0.24 on Ubuntu Server 14.04.4 LTS. I'm not
currently in a situation where I have untrusted root users with access
to containers, but I am planning to open up that type of usage in the
future if LXD turns out to be able to support it. And of course that
would be using the final release of Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS.

Thanks,

Sean