[lxc-users] The Lxc-dev/python2-lxc packages for Debian Jessie

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Wed Mar 9 22:08:58 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 11:35 PM, Valeriy Solovyov <weldpua2008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried to install lxc python bindings for Debian 8(Jessie).
> It wall because I haven't the lxc-dev package. When I tried it from Debian unstable - it didn't include the lxc-(something).h
> So I build inside a docker image of Debian Sid the Ubuntu 'Python-LXC' package(for lxc 1.15...). And  I used it with lxc 1.0.6.
> Maybe there is more right way?

Packaging generally depends on the distro maintainer. You might have
better luck asking on debian list.

As for the "right" way, it also depends on what you can accept as "right":
- you can use ONLY debian official packages, but consequently got
missing some features that is available upstream or in ubuntu, due to
old version or packaging differences
- you can backport packages from strecth, but consequently have to
manage lxc updates on your own (i.e. manual backport everytime stretch
updates lxc), and might still be missing some features availabe
upstream
- you can compile your own packages for upstream source
(https://linuxcontainers.org/), but consequently have manage lxc
integration/updates on your own
- you can use third-party packages (like mine,
http://debian-lxc.github.io/) but consequently need to decide whether
the decisions taken by that packager (like how I use some backported
and ubuntu-ported packages for some optional functionality) is inline
with your own policies. If you go this route, you'll have both lxc and
python3-lxc at 1.1.5 as ready-to-use packages.

I see that stretch now has lxc-1.1.5 as well, so you might want to try
backporting THAT first. That way at least both lxc and your
self-compiled python3-lxc will have the same version.

--
Fajar