[lxc-users] problems starting unprivileged container

Mike Wright nobody at nospam.hostisimo.com
Sun Mar 6 01:21:06 UTC 2016

Hi all,

First post.  I think lxc is incredible. I've replaced all but one of my
xen vms with containers and they have been rock solid.  It is now time
to take away their privileges.  (sounds like being punished for being
good ;)

Following Stéphane Graber's website LXC 1.0 [7/10] without success.

host: ubuntu-15.10 wily
lxc:  1.1.5
guest ubuntu-16.04 xenial pulled from jenkins

grep mike /etc/sub?id
   /etc/subgid:mike:100000:65536
   /etc/subuid:mike:100000:65536

~/.config/lxc/lxc.conf (empty)
~/.config/lxc/default.conf has lxc.network.{type,link,flags,hwaddr}
~/.local/share/lxc/XENIAL/{config,rootfs}
...XENIAL/config is standard config with correct full path to rootfs

I've made it this far:

As mike: lxc-start -n XENIAL -o log -l ERROR -F fails here:

conf.c:setup_ttydir_console:1551 - Device or resource busy - error
unlinking /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lxc/dev/console

That file didn't exist so I created it and tried again. Same failure.

Any idea how to proceed from here?

Thanks,
Mike Wright