[lxc-users] LXD containers lose outbound network

Jäkel, Guido G.Jaekel at dnb.de
Mon Jun 27 13:23:15 UTC 2016

Hi David,

In the situation of the issue, you have to sniff where the packets go or get lost and if it's the outgoing or incoming direction. As the packet source and destination is notated at Layer3 (IP), but the way is chosen by the layer2 (MAC), you had to look at routing tables, arp information and so on.

I the connection is lost "after some hours", it's for sure something related with the timed cleanup of IP/MAC translation tables or other stateful things at the way between the two communication partners.

You already wrote: if you ping 8.8.8.8, you can see the outgoing packets on the software bridge at the LXC host. May you see it on it's upstream interface, or on its way up to the internet? And what is about the answer packets? May you ping the LXC host, another host in the network, another host on the internet? Please also take a look at the arp tables of the involved devices, or the spanning tree of the involved bridges. If you use NAT, you also may have a look on the "conntrack" table.

Greetings

Guido