[lxc-users] which container is swapping?

Harald Dunkel harald.dunkel at aixigo.de
Tue Jun 21 13:28:03 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

Is there some way to monitor local memory swapping *inside*
the container?

Long story:
I had to restrict memory usage for a set of containers, using
lines like

	lxc.cgroup.memory.limit_in_bytes = 12G

in the config file. The memory limits are not the same for
all hosts.

Of course some containers don't play nice and use more memory
than allowed. The server starts swapping.

AFAICS I can examine /cgroup/lxc/.../memory.memsw.usage_in_bytes
and memory.usage_in_bytes on the server, but I would prefer to
monitor swapping inside the container. What would you suggest?

BTW, I wonder why lxc-info and lxc-top don't tell how much swap
space each container uses?

LXC is 1.1.5 (still).

Every helpful hint is highly appreciated
Harri