[lxc-users] lxd documentation about use of ZFS

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Tue Jun 14 22:38:17 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 7:50 PM, brian mullan <bmullan.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry..  yes forgot the details as it was late.
>
> Ubuntu 16.04 with root on ZFS verson 5
>
> My systems currently are running ZFS filesystem version 5.
>
> I've installed Ubuntu 16.04 on several systems with root on ZFS using
> zfsonlinux guide:
> https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/Ubuntu-16.04-Root-on-ZFS
>
> LXD 2.0.2 was installed, via apt install lxd

What are your problems again, and how did you get there? A reproducer
or step by step would be helpful.
My GUESS is that you somehow tell lxd to use your CURRENT root
partition (e.g /dev/sda1) as a NEW zfs pool. Is that what happened?

lxd can either create a new zfs pool (destroying whatever is currently
on the block device), or an existing zfs dataset (which can be part of
any pool, including root pool). You dont need to use zfs root to use
zfs backing store for lxd, as long as you either have a free block
device (loopback also works for testing purposes), or an existing zfs
dataset.

--
Fajar