[lxc-users] ZeroTier Docker IPv6 6plane for LXD

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 28 20:44:26 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 05:17:13PM +0200, Janjaap Bos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to configure 6plane mode for LXD.
>
> For background on 6plane see:
> https://www.zerotier.com/community/topic/67/zerotier-6plane-ipv6-addressing
>
> I am able to configure a /80 network for the LXD, and also the manual
> configuration at the containers to assign an IPv6 number from that subnet
> and set the route.
>
> However, I am not able to configure LXD to provide DHCPv6 service to the
> container in this subnet.
>
> I would much appreciate guidance on how to configure LXD to provide auto
> assigned IPv6 addresses from its subnet to the containers.
>

> My settings for IPv6 in /etc/default/lxd-bridge:
>
> ## IPv6 address (e.g. 2001:470:b368:4242::1)
> LXD_IPV6_ADDR="fca0:4ab7:4617:1cf5:3ad6::1"
>
> ## IPv6 CIDR mask (e.g. 64)
> LXD_IPV6_MASK="80"
>
> ## IPv6 network (e.g. 2001:470:b368:4242::/64)
> LXD_IPV6_NETWORK="fca0:4ab7:4617:1cf5:3ad6::1/80"
>
> ## NAT IPv6 traffic
> LXD_IPV6_NAT="false"
>
> # Run a minimal HTTP PROXY server
> LXD_IPV6_PROXY="false"
>

> Regards,
>
> -Janjaap

Currently our dnsmasq setup only does SLAAC (stateless address
auto-configuration). That means, it announces the prefix using multicast
or on request and the kernel then computes an IPv6 address from the
container based from that.

That computation is done using EUI64 which generates a unique IPv6
address from the MAC address, using a 64-bit network prefix.

Since your network is a /80 which is smaller than a /64, it's simply not
possible for EUI64 to work which is why your containers aren't getting
an IP address.

I suspect you may have to reconfigure dnsmasq by hand to do full
stateful DHCPv6 and then will have to configure your containers to
actually do DHCPv6 as none of the images we provide do so (they all do
SLAAC fine though).

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer