[lxc-users] [lxd] autofs

Rémy Dernat remy.d1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 14:15:57 UTC 2016

Hi,

I tried to install basically autofs in the container and mount directories
with automount, but as a newbie, everything failed ;)

automount -f --debug
automount: test mount forbidden or incorrect kernel protocol version,
kernel protocol version 5.00 or above required.

I know that in OpenVZ, you need to mount the filesystem on the host and
then use simfs on the container through a container "mount" file.
Then, I saw problems with LXC here:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.containers.lxc.general/894
And after reading https://github.com/lxc/lxd/issues/714 , I tried:

lxc config device add my-container autofs unix-char path=/dev/autofs

Now on container side:
#ls -l /dev/autofs
crw-rw---- 1 root root 10, 235 Jul  1 14:06 /dev/autofs

However, the issue is still here:
automount -f --debug
automount: test mount forbidden or incorrect kernel protocol version,
kernel protocol version 5.00 or above required.

"autofs4" module is loaded in the kernel.

I tried to remove/purge autofs and switch to autofs5 package and I have
also the same error.

The container, like the host are ubuntu16.04.

Any help would be useful !

Best regards,
Remy