[lxc-users] Connecting container to tagged VLAN

Joshua Schaeffer jschaeffer0922 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 17:04:36 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list at fajar.net> wrote:

>> eth2 already works. I set it up for testing outside of all containers
>> (i.e. on the host only). From the host:
>>

> That doesn't match what you said earlier.

It actually does. Remember that this LXC host is a virtual machine running
off of VMware, which makes this whole situation more complex. I'll try to
clarify.

VLAN10, the native vlan, is 192.168.54.0/25. It's my management vlan
VLAN500 is 10.240.78.0/24.

eth1 and eth2 are setup to connect to vlan500 because they were setup that
way through VMware. Normarlly you would be correct, on a physical server
eth2 would only be able to contact the native vlan, because no tagging
information is provided. However VMware allows you to tag a NIC (its
actually called a port group, but it is essentially VMware's way of saying
a NIC) from outside the VM guest. If you do this (as I have) then you don't
(and shouldn't) need to tag anything on the VM guest itself. So by just
looking at the guest it can look incorrect/confusing.

My original problem was I was tagging the port group (a.k.a. VMware's NIC)
and I was tagging eth1 inside the VM guest (a.k.a. the LXC host). Clearly
this causes problems. Because I was tagging eth1 but not eth2 that is where
the problem resided. I was trying to mimic a setup I have in my home lab
where I tag an Ethernet device, add it to a bridge, then use that bridge in
a container, but my home lab uses a physical LXC host. Hopefully I've
explained it in a way that clears this up.

Either way I have that problem resolved. Now I'm just wondering why the
container is not adding the gateway's MAC address when it ARP's for it (as
I explained in my last email).

> What I meant, check that ETH1 works on the host. If eth2 is on the same
> network, it might interfere with settings. So disable eth2 first, then test
> eth1 on the host. Without bridging.

Okay that makes sense.

Thanks,
Joshua