[lxc-users] trying to create/install mate-desktop into unprivileged LXC container fails

brian mullan bmullan.mail at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 13:57:35 UTC 2016

My host is Ubuntu 15.10 with LXD/LXC installed.   LXC is v 0.27

I have a script that creates a Privileged LXC container and attempts to
create/install mate-desktop into *Privileged* LXC container...  this all
works fine!

If I modify the line in the script to create an Unprivileged LXC container
then run the script to
create/install mate-desktop into *Unprivileged* LXC container it fails!

I'm fine with just using Privileged containers for this!

But should it be expected that installing a complete Desktop (ubuntu-mate,
xubuntu-desktop) etc into an Unprivileged container is not allowed?

Or is installing a normal Desktop Environment into  Unprivileged container
not allowed?

one of a couple errors that occurs during installation is:

*Setting up fuse (2.9.4-1ubuntu1) ...*
*Creating fuse device...*
*mknod: ‘fuse-’: Operation not permitted*
*makedev fuse c 10 229 root root 0660: failed*
*chmod: cannot access ‘/dev/fuse’: No such file or directory*
*dpkg: error processing package fuse (--configure):*
* subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status
1*
*Setting up avahi-utils (0.6.31-4ubuntu4) ...*
*Errors were encountered while processing:*
* fuse*
*E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)*

As I mentioned there is no problem with a Privileged container just the
Unprivileged.

Both host & container are Ubuntu 15.10.

thanks for any insight.

Brian