[lxc-users] LXC not responsive after update

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Thu Jan 21 11:12:52 UTC 2016

On 20.01.2016 23:50, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 5:49 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list at fajar.net
> <mailto:list at fajar.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 5:23 AM, Viktor Trojanovic
>     <viktor at troja.ch <mailto:viktor at troja.ch>> wrote:
>
>         I just did a system upgrade on my Arch System which included
>         updating the kernel, systemd and lxc to the newest versions.
>         After having done so, I cannot interact with my Linux
>         container any longer. The system within the container still
>         seems to work fine and can be contacted from outside (Samba
>         server) but if I try to use one of the lxc commands to query
>         or otherwise interact with the container (e.g. lxc-ls -f,
>         lxc-stop, lxc-console, lxc-attach), the command hangs until I
>         cancel it with CTRL+C.
>
>         I get the following message when cancelling lxc-ls -f (as root):
>
>         ^CTraceback (most recent call list):
>           File "/usr/bin/lxc-ls", line 432, in <module>
>             containers = get_containers(root=True)
>           File "user/bin/lxc-ls", line 261, in get_containers
>             if container.controllable:
>         KeyboardInterrupt
>
>         Regular lxc-ls works normal, by the way.
>
>         I can probably just reboot the server but I still wanted to
>         ask around if anyone has an idea why this is happening and
>         what I could do except rebooting to regain control of LXC? I
>         tried already systemctl restart lxc but that doesn't help.
>

>     Do you have lxcfs installed? If yes, this should be a know issue.
>     When you restart lxcfs, all existing running containers that use
>     it will be unable to access lxcfs-provided resources. AFAIK
>     restarting lxc service does restart running containers.
>

> That should be: AFAIK restarting lxc service does *NOT *restart
> running containers.
>

>     Try killing one of those containers (lxc-stop -k -n ...), start
>     it, and then test again. If it works, do the same for other
>     containers.
>
>     --
>     Fajar

Hi Fajar,

I'm not using lxcfs, just regular directory based containers.

I cannot do anything with the containers.

lxc-stop -k
lxc-ls -f
lxc-attach
lxc-console
systemctl stop lxc (or restart lxc)

All these commands hang forever, I have to interrupt with CTRL+C and no
output is written to the logs. But the container system keeps working
fine, so does the host system.

Viktor