[lxc-users] new lxd user (on Gentoo) - queries about container logging and configuration parameters

Pedro Lourenco Venda pjvenda at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 16:22:40 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I've found lxd recently and jumped on it. I've used vserver before but
this is a different league of simplicity and compatibility with stock
kernels. Great work indeed, many thanks to the developers and the
community for supporting and improving this product.

There are a few issues that I couldn't figure out on my own by looking
on the Internet, so I'm putting them out to the experts:

- One aspect that drew my attention was the fact that running 'dmesg'
on the containers shows the host's kernel log. This does not look
right to me, is it a configuration fault on the container or the lxd
system?

- I've been trying to produce Debian images, but I've found that using
sysvinit causes the container to start/crash/start in a loop. All I
see is kernel log messages on the host about the container's bridged
interface being created, renamed and not being ready, etc, but I can't
tell whether this is cause or consequence. Is there a way of enabling
some sort of debug logging in the hope of observing and debugging what
is happening with the container?

- I've picked up on the tutorial that certain configuration settings
can be applied to certain containers, either via a profile or directly
(like the memory limit). However I can't find a list of these
parameters that could be tweaked - is there such thing available
somewhere?

Any pointers for addressing these issues would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Pedro.