[lxc-users] setcap does not work in unprivileged container

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Thu Feb 25 23:41:44 UTC 2016

On 26/02/16 05:56, Serge Hallyn wrote:
>>> Hopefully in the next month or two I'll get time to get that
>>> working in the kernel.  Which means a few more months before
>>> it'd be really available.
>>
>> Can we expect it to be backported to Xenial?
>
> No, but the HWE and such kernels will have it.  They are just as well
> (really, better) supported so that should be no big deal.

With todays kernel 4.4.0-8 update my xenial containers are up running again,
many thanks, but for the record this package also soft-breaks because of
the setcap issue. Good to hear you will be looking into it as I was under
the impression it was never going to happen.

Setting up systemd (229-1ubuntu4) ...
addgroup: The group `systemd-journal' already exists as a system group. Exiting.
Failed to set capabilities on file `/usr/bin/systemd-detect-virt' (Invalid argument)
The value of the capability argument is not permitted for a file. Or the file is not a regular (non-symlink) file