[lxc-users] all lxc containers gone after update?

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 25 02:21:59 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 11:19:28AM +0900, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> On 2016-02-25 11:15, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> >Looks all my lxc containers are gone after some recent update:
> >
> ># lxc-ls -f
> >
> >(no output at all)
> >
> ># lxc-attach -n somecontainer
> >Error: container somecontainer is not defined
>
> FYI, my /var/lib/lxc was a symbolic link to /some/other/mountpoint.
>
> Looks like the upgrade removed that symbolic link and created an empty
> /var/lib/lxc directory.
>
> Restoring the symbolic link "fixed" this.
>

> Is it expected that /var/lib/lxc is removed when lxc is updated?

It's not expected, no. But it most likely happened due to our package
split. The owner of /var/lib/lxc changed from the lxc package to the
lxc1 package which most likely caused dpkg to reset it to the default
permissions (which is a directory set with root:root and 0700 mode).

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer