[lxc-users] Cannot start network: Failed to attach

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Wed Feb 24 08:49:26 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Jochen Wiedmann
<jochen.wiedmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this mailing list seems to be appropriate for beginners questions like
> the following. Hope, that's the case.
>
> I am running a CentOS 6.7 VM on VirtualBox with LXC 1.0.8 installed
> from the EPEL repository. I am creating an LXC container, but cannot

You're missing a lot by sticking with c6. Especially if you stick with
the default kernel.

> start it, because some problems with the network (see below). Most
> likely, my network configuration is not correct. ifconfig shows three
> interfaces to be present ("eth0", "eth1", and "lo").
>
> What might be wrong? Or, what to try next?

> [jwi at lxc ~]$ sudo cat /etc/lxc/lxc-usernet
> jwi eth0 lxcbr0 10

That file is irrelevant. It's only used for unprivileged containers,
which won't work on c6 since it needs kernel capabilities that's only
available in newer kernels.

> 'veth47FB4Q' to the bridge 'virbr0': No such device

Does virbr0 exist?

It's usually created by libvirt (which also sets up things like
dnsmasq and iptables rules). You could also create your own bridge
manually (if you know how) and use that for lxc.

--
Fajar