[lxc-users] [Help]LXD:point of differentiation. please answer my question

Luis Michael Ibarra michael.ibarra at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 16:18:46 UTC 2016

Hi all,

> Hi^^
>
> Recently, I first know about LXD and I have searched information with
> great interest.
>
> (from articles, linuxcontainers.org, ubuntu product page)
>
> But, until now, There are some parts that I can't yet understand.
>
> That parts are very important for me. please anyswer my question below.
>
> thanks in advance.
>

> *[Q1]* I read that "LXD container provides a full OS environment within
> container."
>
>        So I think that is one of the Point of Differences beween LXD and
> other containers.
>
>        Of course I know that app container like a docker does not support
> full OS envinronment.
>
>        But before announcing LXD, already LXC technology has existed. well
> known technology.
>
>        *Before LXD, Does LXC have already provided full OS environment??
>  *
>
>        I know other container like solaris zone also supports.
>
> *( I know that LXD uses LXC, However I want to distinguish beween LXD
> new features and LXC origin feautre that have continued to support
> before.)*
>
>       *Am I right? or wrong? *
>
>       If I am wrong,
>
>      *What is the main reason that LXD provides a full OS environment in
> comparison with lxc and zone??*
>
>       except for functions like a multiple hosts, snapshots.... just focus
> on full OS environment.
>
> *[Q2]* *where can I get LXD manual? I have found a just few "get started
> webpage"*
>
>        I want to get "how to configure resource management",
>
>        how to assign block device and volume, how to connect container to
> outside and about configuraiotn files...
>
> *[Q3]* LXD container can not servcie itself by own funtion?
>
>        *It means LXD container must use other tool like a SDN,
> openstack??*
>
>       * (Docker can uses unixsocket, tcpsocket for service with other
> hosts, Docker does not need SDN*)
>

> *[Q4] *All container technology use a host's kernel features (cgroup,
> namespace. etc...)
>
>      I know LXD also use host's kernel features.
>
>      So VM like a virtubalbox, vmware can support better isolation and
> security than container.
>
>      because VMs have own kernel and VMs does not share kernel resource.
>
>     * If so, How can LXD provide support better security and isolation
> than other container technology?? *
>
> *    How can LXD be called linux hypervisor in comparison with other
> container(lxc, solaris zone)????.*
>
> * ( I know that LXD uses LXC, However I want to distinguish beween LXD
> new features and LXC origin feautre that have continued to support
> before.)*

If you know a little bit of spanish, I have a video explaining most part of
your questions at UbuConLA 2015 where I talked about "LXD Internals"[1][2],
I'm gonna check if I can upload subtitles.

[1]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sdSNcga2Uc
[2]: https://github.com/clvx/ubuconla-lxd

Luis Michael Ibarra