[lxc-users] CGManager and LXCFS causing lxc-start to fail for unprivileged containers

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 3 02:52:44 UTC 2016

Quoting Akshay Karle (akshay.a.karle at gmail.com):
> Hey Serge,
>
> Note, just dropping the '-c freezer' argument also will tell pam_cgm.so
> > to use all controllers.
> >

> That's good to know. Just tried it out, it works. Thanks!
>

> > The debug info above says lxc is using cgfs and not cgmanager.  Exactly
> > which lxc package version are you using?
> >

> I'm using lxc 1.1.5. Exact version 1.1.5-0ubuntu5~ubuntu14.04.1~ppa1
> available from ppa:ubuntu-lxc/stable. Reading through the container start
> logs I had sent in the previous email I found that it is indeed using
> cgroupfs driver. Is this the cause of the problem? Should I be running cgfs
> on trusty to begin with?
>
> Looking at the code of cgroup.c
> <https://github.com/lxc/lxc/blob/lxc-1.1.5/src/lxc/cgroup.c#L48>, I saw
> that in the init it checks for HAVE_CGMANAGER macro but I can't seem to
> figure out where it is being initialized, I'm guessing it should be

In src/lxc/Makefile.am there is

if ENABLE_CGMANAGER
AM_CFLAGS += -DHAVE_CGMANAGER
endif

with ENABLE_CGMANAGER coming from configure.ac.

If you're actually using the binaries from ppa:ubuntu-lxc/stable then
they will have cgmanager enabled, but if you grabbed the source from
there and built locally then you need to make sure libcgmanger-dev is
installed when running configure.