[lxc-users] How to apply commands in howtos - macvlan and disk passthrough

Pavol Cupka pavol.cupka at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 16:09:43 UTC 2016

these subuid mappings are there for the case that someone compromises your
container and gains root, should he break out of the container he would
have access to all the files that are root owned on the host machine, when
you use these mappings then the uses get uid + 100000 or whatever is set in
the subuid map file and if they gain root they have uid 1 in container but
uid 1000001 on the host that means it can't access any files. that is the
whole purpose of this unprivileged container thing.
yes you have to create users with corresponding uid on diff containers to
be able to access the files.

why do you have to export the same path to both containers? you can export
one path for one container and other for the second one. but your setup
will work for media/backup and for other things