[lxc-users] Debian 8 container on Ubuntu 16.04 host

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Fri Dec 16 05:57:28 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list at fajar.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 9:58 AM, William Cooley <mailingl at wtip.net> wrote:
>
>>  I am trying to install a Debian 8 container on a Ubuntu 16.04 host.
>>  The Ubuntu host is running lxc version 2.0.8 from the default ubuntu
>> repo and  Kernel 4.4.0-53-generic #74-Ubuntu.
>>
>>  I'm using the default Debian jessie image from the images repo. systemd
>> is not working correctly inside of the container and I am not able to do
>> things like restart a service.
>>
>>  Has anyone here tried running a Debian 8 container on a Ubuntu 16.04
>> host and had success with making systemd work properly?
>>

> How are you installing it? Just tested with lxd, it works fine.

I spoke to soon.

While it seems to work fine (including installing and restarting rsyslog)
on first launch, a restart broke everything. Short version: you need to
upgrade systemd, e.g. using stretch repo:
https://github.com/lxc/lxd/issues/1911#issuecomment-212366453

The exact steps would vary depend on whether you use lxc or lxd, and
privileged or unprivileged. If you use privileged, it should be as simple
as running chroot and apt.

--
Fajar