[lxc-users] Strange freezes with btrfs backend

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 12:56:53 UTC 2016

My 0.02

We have been using btrfs in production for more than a year on other
projects and about 6mos with LXD.  It has been rock solid.  I have multiple
LXD servers each with >20 containers. We have a separate btrfs filesystem
(with compression enabled) to store the LXD containers. I take nightly
snapshots for all containers, and each server probably has 2000 snapshots.
The only issue thus far is the IO hit when deleting lots of snapshots at
one time.  You need to delete a few (10 at a time), pause for 60secs, then
delete the next 10.

I have used ZFS in Linux in the past and could never get adequate
performance - regardless of tuning or amount of RAM given to ZFS.  In fact,
I started using ZFS for our backup server (64TB raw storage with 32GB RAM)
but had to move back to XFS due to severe performance issues.  Nothing
fancy; I did a by-the-bok install and enabled compression and snapshots. I
tried every tuning option available (including SSD for L2-ARC). Nothing
would improve the performance.

To the OP: are you sure btrfs is causing your issues?  Have you traced the
OP activity during the hiccup moments?