[lxc-users] Xenial images used to be about 140MB, now went up to 315MB

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Mon Aug 29 14:20:55 UTC 2016

Greetings, Simos Xenitellis!

> Hi All,

> Until a few weeks ago, the Xenial image ("ubuntu:x" for x86_64), as reported by

> lxc image list ubuntu:

> used to be around 140MB.
> See, for example,
> https://simos.info/blog/playing-around-with-lxd-containers-lxc-on-ubuntu/
> (138.23MB)

> However, if you run now the same command, the size of the image has
> gone up to 315MB:

> | x (9 more)         | 295d53ae6db4 | yes    | ubuntu 16.04 LTS amd64
> (release) (20160815)     | x86_64  | 315.82MB | Aug 15, 2016 at
> 12:00am (UTC) |

> It looks like an error, since all other images in the list are all under 150MB.

Sounds just like someone using tar in addition mode, and adding the same files
over and over again.
Can you please dump the TAR header and see what really contains in the image?
If I'm right, the image will contain lots of duplicated paths.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...