[lxc-users] LXC priv container and OpenVSwitch

Ruzsinszky Attila ruzsinszky.attila at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 07:49:54 UTC 2016

Hi,

Ubuntu 16.04.

My OVS config:
Port "veth-lub4"
            tag: 800
            Interface "veth-lub4"
                error: "could not open network device veth-lub4 (No such
device)"
        Port "veth-lub6"
            tag: 800
            Interface "veth-lub6"
                error: "could not open network device veth-lub6 (No such
device)"
        Port "veth-lub5"
            tag: 800
            Interface "veth-lub5"
                error: "could not open network device veth-lub5 (No such
device)"
        Port "veth-lub7"
            tag: 800
            Interface "veth-lub7"
                error: "could not open network device veth-lub7 (No such
device)"
    ovs_version: "2.5.0"

The containers are stopped so the error is true.

I wanted to start lub4:
rattila at fcubi:~$ sudo lxc-start -n lub4
lxc-start: lxc_start.c: main: 344 The container failed to start.
lxc-start: lxc_start.c: main: 346 To get more details, run the container in
foreground mode.
lxc-start: lxc_start.c: main: 348 Additional information can be obtained by
setting the --logfile and --logpriority options.

The problem is the pre-configured OVS ports! If I remove the above ports
and re-start the containers and configure again OVS for the given port
everything will be OK.
Is that the needed solution?

I found the port will be setup automatically except tagging (VLAN) by lxc.
So after the container was started I have to configure VLAN manually by
ovs-vsctl for getting IP from the DHCP server which is on the tagged VLAN.

It is very inconvenient if the machine was rebooted because OVS "learned"
the config and the restarted containers are not able to start because of
the pre-configured ports in OVS.

TIA,
Ruzsi