[lxc-users] Unprivileged container woes: unable to install packages

jjs - mainphrame jjs at mainphrame.com
Thu Aug 18 17:42:29 UTC 2016

Greetings,

I had decided to build an lxd version of an lxc server which had been
running reliably for some time. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be
running quite as smoothly. is some sort of special permissions hacking
required?

Here is one example of a problem in the new lxd container, which was never
seen in the lxc container, namely attempting to install a package:

Please pardon me if this is a FAQ as I've been primarily working with
openvz of late - point me to TFM if there is a TFM which would enlighten me
on this subject.

Dependencies Resolved

 Package       Arch           Version                       Repository
  Size
Installing:
 httpd         x86_64         2.4.6-40.el7.centos.4         updates
2.7 M

Transaction Summary
Install  1 Package

Total download size: 2.7 M
Installed size: 9.4 M
Is this ok [y/d/N]: y
Downloading packages:
httpd-2.4.6-40.el7.centos.4.x86_64.rpm                     | 2.7 MB
 00:00:00
Running transaction check
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded
Running transaction
  Installing : httpd-2.4.6-40.el7.centos.4.x86_64
  1/1
Error unpacking rpm package httpd-2.4.6-40.el7.centos.4.x86_64
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/sbin/suexec: cpio:
cap_set_file
  Verifying  : httpd-2.4.6-40.el7.centos.4.x86_64
  1/1

Failed:
  httpd.x86_64 0:2.4.6-40.el7.centos.4

Jake