[lxc-users] I think terminology of LXD & LXC still confuses newcomers

brian mullan bmullan.mail at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 14:19:27 UTC 2016

Long time users of LXC and now LXD understand the difference & difference
of purpose.

However, it seems to me that for newcomers to LXD the continuance of
reference to LXC seems to cause confusion for those people when doing
google searches & they find CLI references/examples for the original LXC
syntax.   Then they have problems with LXD because of that confusion.

example:

https://linuxcontainers.org/lxd/introduction/

describes LXD as..

*LXD isn't a rewrite of LXC, in fact it's building on top of LXC to provide
a new,better user experience. Under the hood, LXD uses LXC through liblxc
and its Go bindingto create and manage the containers.It's basically an
alternative to LXC's tools and distribution template systemwith the added
features that come from being controllable over the network.*

Now if you were "new" to LXC and LXD and do a google search for LXC example
use/configs etc you find many examples like:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/how-to-create-lxc-system-containers-to-isolate-services/

where they show use of the old lxc-create command etc

or another...

https://levlaz.org/installing-node-js-ghost-in-an-ubuntu-14-04-lxc-container/

where again they use the old LXC syntax to implement node.js in LXC.

etc.

People follow those types of original LXC examples (or others) and then
can't figure out why when with LXD installed they don't see their
containers by doing (again just an example:

*lxc list*

or other LXD syntax type commands.

Same goes for differences in the "config" file for original LXC vs how an
LXD container's confg is accomplised (or even where the files are).

The LXD developers have done an incredible job!

I'm only asking this question to see, what if anything, can/could be done
to lessen confusion encountered by new LXD users.

Especially those that then go out and google "lxc" and find so many
examples of the "old" lxc usage/implementations/configurations?

Brian