[lxc-users] Using docker *and* nfs in lxd?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Apr 29 03:24:44 UTC 2016

Hi all,
I'm trying to virtualize an app that uses both nfs and docker on
Ubuntu 16.04.  (Yes, the app uses docker.  Sigh.)

The lxc profile lxc-container-default-with-nesting allowed installing
nfs-kernel-server, but didn't let me install docker.io.
I figured I was getting into "better use the latest stuff" territory,
so I switched to lxd.

Following https://www.stgraber.org/2016/04/13/lxd-2-0-docker-in-lxd-712,
I was able to
get docker to run inside lxc:

  sudo apt install lxd lxd-client
  sudo usermod -aG lxd $USER
  (log out; log in)
  lxc launch ubuntu:16.04 docker -p default -p docker
  lxc exec docker -- apt update
  lxc exec docker -- apt dist-upgrade -u
  lxc exec docker -- apt install docker.io -y
  lxc exec docker -- docker run ubuntu /bin/echo 'hello, nesty world!'

Worked great!  But
  lxc exec docker -- apt install nfs-kernel-server -y

failed; journalctl says:
nfs-idmapd.service/stat failed with result 'dependency' ...
... failed to mount RPC Pipe File System...
... Unit run-rpc_pipefs.mount has failed..."

Just as with my earlier lxc problem, I'm sure there's some simple answer that'd
be obvious if I read the docs, but I can't find any lxd doc that mentions nfs,
nor am I fluent in AppArmor.  Can I buy a clue?

Thanks,
Dan