[lxc-users] OT: Btrfs or ZFS

Yonsy Solis yonsy.s.p at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 01:42:48 UTC 2016

On 20/04/16 18:50, 술욱 wrote:

> What do you, users and devs, prefer, Btrfs or ZFS?

i am dev and sysadmin too, and i prefer btrfs now (see below)

> My current setup is 2TB md raid1, Ext4. I was going to format Btrfs
> next weekend, but after reading the following link, I'm not so sure:
>
> https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/02/16/zfs-is-the-fs-for-containers-in-ubuntu-16-04/
>

> Is there any preference in the LXC community on Btrfs vs ZFS?

no.

> Are both FS well supported on LXC?

yes.

> Does any of these FS have LXC features the other one doesn't?

you can check here:

https://github.com/lxc/lxd/blob/master/doc/storage-backends.md#feature-comparison

in resume, between btrfs and zfs almost no difference.

> I know this is a little off-topic but I don't know where else to ask
> for specific LXC features and/or preferences on FS.

I use btrfs three times, the first and third time without problems and
the second time "almost" without problem.

You can see here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/btrfs-tools/+bug/1451265/comments/8

that sometimes you will have problems with trusty/utopic if you do a
dirty reboot. This was my problem when i was in trusty with 3.14 kernel
and btrfs from this version. And they recommend upgrade at least to
vivid with upraded btrfs in kernel and upgraded btrfs-tools.

some weeks ago i use trusty but with xenial kernel from hwe (4.4.x) and
btrfs-tools from lxc stable ppa
(https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-lxc/+archive/ubuntu/stable).

I am waiting some weeks to install xenial and lxd ... over btrfs for
desktop and servers.

--
Yonsy Solis