[lxc-users] Network does not start automatically on Debian Jessie and Stretch containers, works fine in Wheezy

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 11 14:59:13 UTC 2016

Quoting Anders Andersson (pipatron at gmail.com):
> tl;rd: My debian jesse/stretch containers won't start their network on
> boot, can't figure out why.
>
> I have a seemingly trivial problem with Debian containers on a Debian
> host, but I can't seem to figure out why it happens so I'm turning to
> the professionals for help.
>
> I run a Debian Stretch (testing) server for my personal use at home.
> It has been running a Debian Wheezy container for a long time, no
> problems whatsoever, implying that my bridge is correctly set up, and
> the corresponding LXC config for the container:
>
>  lxc.network.type = veth
>  lxc.network.link = br0
>  lxc.network.flags = up
>
> Now I want more containers, so I tried creating a Jessie container
> using the following command:
>
>  lxc-create -t download -n deb8 -- -d debian -a amd64 -r jessie
>  lxc-start -n deb8
>
> This fails to initialize the network inside the new container.
>
> To debug this, I tried creating three containers using these identical commands:
>
>  lxc-create -t download -n deb7 -- -d debian -a amd64 -r wheezy
>  lxc-create -t download -n deb8 -- -d debian -a amd64 -r jessie
>  lxc-create -t download -n deb9 -- -d debian -a amd64 -r stretch

Can you show the process listing in the broken containers?

I'd assume the problem is that systemd is getting stuck due to cgroups
not being sufficiently available.  In which case the answer should be
to install lxcfs, or to run a kernel with cgroup namespaces available.

Which lxc and lxcfs versions do youhave installed?