[lxc-users] LXC ubuntu locales

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Fri Apr 1 20:44:54 UTC 2016

Greetings, enrico stano!

> I have a really simple Ubuntu Trusty LXC container and I noticed that while
> creating it from the standard ubuntu LXC template it uses the same locales as its host.

> This seems really weird to me since I expect that the container should be
> as agnostic as possible from the host.

Locale has nothing to do with "agnostic". It isn't binary incompatibility or
foreign library dependency.

> What did I try?

> Host: Arch Linux kernel 4.4.5
> Container: Ubuntu 14.04

> Host: Lubuntu kernel 3.5
> Container: Ubuntu 14.04

> in the first case I only have en_US.UTF8 as locale in the host, didn't noticed anything weird in LXC.

> In the other case the host has es_ES.UTF8, some on the LXC container right after the lxc-create command.

> Ho can I assure that every time the container has en_US.UTF8 or any other standard as locale?

As long as character encoding is UTF-8, it is a perfectly normal locale.
And I'm sure most people will find this behavior expected and wanted.
If for some reason you don't want it, you can distribute a replacement
/etc/default/locale for containers.
Or change the host locale.

--
With best regards,