[lxc-users] Eth0 not present on boot

Guido Jäkel G.Jaekel at DNB.DE
Wed Sep 23 20:38:14 UTC 2015

Dear Peter,

I also rename the veth to the name of the container and without this, as the default a random name will be used. You'll see why with the later you don't notice an issue:

If a container goes down, the veth did not vanish as long as there is a tcp connection using it. And in case of a shutdown scenario, there's a good chance to interrupt communication processes in the middle of conversation, e.g. during delivery of content. Then, an outerside client will wait for output until an application level timeout or because of TCP handshake timeouts. This typically will take about 5min.

In my experience, sometimes you even cant "delete the link" as described by Fayar, but i was able to rename the interface "away" (ip link set dev $DEV name $DEV._away). It will vanish later but the restarting container may use the name again for a new veth.

greetings

Guido