[lxc-users] Eth0 not present on boot

Peter Steele pwsteele at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 15:58:33 UTC 2015

We sometimes hit an error where eth0 in a container does not come up,
leaving the container with only the "lo" device. The system messages in
the container lists the error

Sep 17 15:58:50 vm-00 network: Bringing up interface eth0:  ERROR :
[/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth] Device eth0 does not seem to
be present, delaying initialization

The only solution we've found is to reboot the container. To date, that
has always restored the missing interface. The question we have though
is what causes this in the first place? This is a CentOS 7.1 container
running on a CentOS 7.1 host. The containers use bridged networking.

Has anyone seen this behavior?