[lxc-users] Containers have network issues when their host uses a bonded interface

Bostjan Skufca bostjan at a2o.si
Thu Sep 10 20:01:31 UTC 2015

Hi Peter,

since you mentioned you are using bridged interfaces, is my assumption
correct that your containers's network connection is joined directly
to this bridge and containers talk to the world direcly (L2) and not
via routed (L3) network over host OS?

Did you try using routed setup (using bond0 directly and creating
dedicated br1just  for containers) and taking bridging functionality
of the linux kernel out of the picture?

I am very interested in your findings, as I have similar setup planned
for deployment in the coming weeks (vlan trunk -> bond -> bridge ->
containers).

(I had similar issues on bonded interfaces on VMware, where tap-based
OpenVPN server would not work at all. It had to do something with how
vmware handles bonds and this not being compatible with L2 stuff
coming out of VM. The second thing I remember very vaguely is that I
tried using bridged interface inside container too, and it did not
cooperate well with host's bridge, so I stopped using bridges inside
containers altogether.)

b.