[lxc-users] Xorg not starting at autostart

Balwinder Singh balbind at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 13:22:06 UTC 2015

Hello,
I am trying to create lxc container with lxde based desktop environment.
My container is owned by root.
Everything works fine, if I login as root and start container. Xorg works,
lxdm greeter comes up properly, mouse works, keyboard works.

My problem is that Xorg fails when autostart is enabled. I tried enabling
autostart in container config file. Also tried running container from
rc.local. In both cases container starts but Xorg fails. I am able to
attach to container. After attaching, if I restart Xorg, it again fails. If
I stop container and restart, everything works fine.

Following is reported in Xorg.log file

[    18.514] (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
[    18.514] (II) Unloading fbdev
[    18.514] (II) UnloadSubModule: "fbdevhw"
[    18.514] (II) Unloading fbdevhw
[    18.514] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
[    18.514] (II) Unloading vesa
[    18.514] (==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
[    18.514] Unable to set master
[    18.514] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[    18.514] (EE) AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0
[    18.514] (EE)
[    18.515] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
[    18.515] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
for additional information.
[    18.515] (EE)
[    18.524] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

I tried following things
1. set lxc.consol=/dev/tty8
2. run lxc-start from rc.local as follows
    2.1. lxc-start -n bos1
    2.2. su -l root -c "lxc-start -n bos1"
3. run lxc-start -l 0 -n bos1 - Logs seems to be same.

I would be glad, if some one can point where I might be going wrong.

Thanks