[lxc-users] Determining a container's MAC address

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Tue Sep 1 09:06:31 UTC 2015

Greetings, Peter Steele!

> On 08/31/2015 10:03 PM, Serge Hallyn wrote:
>> Right - if you use lxc-create to create the config file, and your
>> initial lxc.conf (i.e. /etc/lxc/default.conf or whatever you pass
>> as CONF to lxc-create -f CONF) contains something like
>>
>> lxc.network.hwaddr = 00:16:3e:xx:xx:xx
>>
>> then your container config will have an expanded hwaddr entry.
> That did the trick. Adding this entry to my default.conf resulted in a
> lxc.network.hwaddr entry to be added to my container's config file. I
> also tried using

> lxc.network.hwaddr = 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Do NOT do this.
If you want completely random private MAC's, start with 02:...

Ref: http://www.iana.org/assignments/ethernet-numbers/ethernet-numbers.xhtml

> in my default.conf as well and that generated a random mac address
> starting with b6:38, then 78:47, and so on. Is there a recommended
> prefix for the auto-generated lxc mac addresses?

The recommended prefix is the one that is set by default.
You MAY use private prefix, but make sure it is properly indicated.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...