[lxc-users] Determining a container's MAC address

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Tue Sep 1 03:37:41 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 3:23 AM, Peter Steele <pwsteele at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/31/2015 06:32 AM, Serge Hallyn wrote:
>

>> Should show up in a line like
>>
>> lxc.network.hwaddr = 00:16:3e:83:d1:8f
>>
>> in the created container config.
>>

> This is what I'd use to create a container with my own custom mac address,
> but this field does not appear to get populated when a container is
> created. I don't need my own custom address-- I'm happy to let LXC pick its
> own mac address. I'd just like to be able to determine what mac it has
> assigned a container without having to boot that container first.

How did you create the container? which distro/version?

At least in ubuntu, the generated mac should be created and stored in
config file without you having to edit anything.

If you DON'T see the lines in your config file, IIRC that means a new mac
will be generated everytime the container boots. The only way to know its
mac is by booting the container.

--
Fajar