[lxc-users] Network isolation in unprivileged containers

Benoit GEORGELIN - Association Web4all benoit.georgelin at web4all.fr
Tue Oct 20 13:16:44 UTC 2015

I'm using an openvswith to provide network isolation/rules.

- Containers cannot change their own IP or MAC address. They will not receive any traffic anymore.
- I'm also able to manage network queue and limit traffic

Here is what I shared some time ago on that talk ( https://www.mail-archive.com/lxc-users@lists.linuxcontainers.org/msg03609.html )

This is finally what I did with openvswitch :

ovs-ofctl del- flow s vswitch-vps
ovs-ofctl add- flow vswitch-vps "in_port=PORT_GW ip actions=NORMAL"
ovs-ofctl add- flow vswitch-vps "in_port=PORT_GW arp actions=NORMAL"

# default drop communication with HOST_A
ovs-ofctl add- flow vswitch-vps "in_port=PORT_HOST_A priority=38000 idle_timeout=0 action=drop"

# default drop communication with HOST_B
ovs-ofctl add- flow vswitch-vps "in_port=PORT_HOST_B priority=38000 idle_timeout=0 action=drop"

# Allow GW communication + Hypervisor
ovs-ofctl add- flow vswitch-vps "in_port=PORT_GW priority=39000 dl_type=0x0800 nw_src=IP_GW dl_src= MAC_GW idle_timeout=0 action=normal"
ovs-ofctl add- flow vswitch-vps "in_port=PORT_GW priority=38500 dl_type=0x0806 dl_src=MAC_GW idle_timeout=0 action=normal"

# Allow HOST A
ovs-ofctl add- flow vswitch-vps "in_port=PORT_HOST_A priority=38400 dl_type=0x0800 nw_src= IP_HOST_A dl_src= MAC_HOST_A idle_timeout=0 action=normal"
ovs-ofctl add- flow vswitch-vps "in_port= PORT_HOST_A priority=38300 dl_type=0x0806 dl_src=MAC_HOST_A idle_timeout=0 action=normal"

# Allow HOST B
ovs-ofctl add- flow vswitch-vps "in_port= PORT_HOST_B priority=38400 dl_type=0x0800 nw_src=IP_HOST_B dl_src=MAC_HOST_B idle_timeout=0 action=normal"
ovs-ofctl add- flow vswitch-vps "in_port= PORT_HOST_A priority=38300 dl_type=0x0806 dl_src=MAC_HOST_B idle_timeout=0 action=normal"

To find port numbers:

ovs-ofctl show BRIDGE

I did a small video about how I can deploy an LXC container (unprivileged) including network configuration.

https://vimeo.com/142828076

I'm working to make a better integrated solution and I'll share that on github.

Cheers,

Cordialement,

Benoît Georgelin

Afin de contribuer au respect de l'environnement, merci de n'imprimer ce mail qu'en cas de nécessité