[lxc-users] Dotted container names now invalid?

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Wed Oct 7 10:34:18 UTC 2015

On 07/10/15 18:53, Stéphane Graber wrote:
>> Is there any chance this restriction could be loosened slightly to include
>> a dot char to re-enable a FQDN for container names?
>
> Not all operating systems we may run on at some point support dots in
> their hostnames, so allowing this would make things inconsistent across
> platforms and I'd really rather avoid this.

Well how about lxc itself transform any dots to hyphens on just those systems?

Rather than require the majority of sane posix platforms to manually transform
a dotted FQDN to some hyphenated version why not just apply this "magically"
within lxc for the systems that can't cope with a dotted hostname?

> Note that if what you need is a way to find containers easily, you can do:
>      lxc config set container-name user.customer=blah
>      lxc list user.customer=blah

Times thousand of hosts compared to just a plain "lxc list"?

On 07/10/15 17:37, Fiedler Roman wrote:
> Having the same problem, I was just replacing the dots with dashes, which
>  does not really impair readability. So you do not need a lookup map.

I've got at least half a dozen clients with hyphens in their domainnames
so mapping - to dot will result in an invalid domain.