[lxc-users] LXC 1.1.3 update blocks container startup.

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Mon Oct 5 15:43:01 UTC 2015

Greetings, Fajar A. Nugraha!

>>> What lxc version did you say you were using?
>>
>> Were using - 1.1.2.
>> Then I got an upgrade and my DC didn't came up after a host reboot.
>> Had to roll back to 1.1.2 to recover operation.

> So to reconfirm, you now run 1.1.2, which is fine?

> The earlier error report was when you use 1.1.3?

Yes. Exactly.

>>> You said "why 1.1.2 start fine", so I had thought you were using
>>> 1.1.3. Yet those lines show you're still using 1.1.2. If 1.1.2 works
>>> fine, then what version are you having problems with?
>>
>> LXC 1.1.3 - doesn't start with system boot, nor after boot.

> It should. If not, then it's a bug.

Was afraid so. >.<

>>> the simplest "fix" would probably be to run "apt-get upgrade" (which should
>>> upgrade everything, including lxc to 1.1.3),
>>
>> And break it again, third time in a row?...

> This is where a test system would be handy.

> If you're willing to contribute some effort, you could setup another
> machine (or, VM. 1GB memory is more than enough), setup a similar

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce it on a test VM, from which the configuration
was created, nor on two live systems, that run similar setups.

For reference, this is a prototype VM:

# dpkg --list '*lxc*' '*cgmanager*' '*apparmor*' | cat -
||/ Name             Version                           Description
+++-================-=================================-==========================================================================
ii  apparmor         2.7.102-0ubuntu3.10               User-space parser utility for AppArmor
ii  apparmor-utils   2.7.102-0ubuntu3.10               Utilities for controlling AppArmor
ii  cgmanager        0.37-1ubuntu1~ubuntu12.04.1~ppa1  Central cgroup manager daemon
ii  libapparmor-perl 2.7.102-0ubuntu3.10               AppArmor library Perl bindings
ii  libapparmor1     2.7.102-0ubuntu3.10               changehat AppArmor library
ii  libcgmanager0    0.37-1ubuntu1~ubuntu12.04.1~ppa1  Central cgroup manager daemon (client library)
ii  liblxc1          1.1.3-0ubuntu2~ubuntu12.04.1~ppa1 Linux Containers userspace tools (library)
ii  lxc              1.1.3-0ubuntu2~ubuntu12.04.1~ppa1 Linux Containers userspace tools
ii  lxc-templates    1.1.3-0ubuntu2~ubuntu12.04.1~ppa1 Linux Containers userspace tools (templates)
ii  lxcfs            0.10-0ubuntu1~ubuntu12.04.1~ppa1  FUSE based filesystem for LXC
ii  python3-lxc      1.1.3-0ubuntu2~ubuntu12.04.1~ppa1 Linux Containers userspace tools (Python 3.x bindings)

> system, and at least verify whether or not the errors with 1.1.3 and
> precise is reproducable. You'd going to need it anyway if you're going
> to follow Serge's troubleshooting steps, since I believe it should be
> run on 1.1.3.

I've started from that, as it was more than just a momentary "hey, let's run
some containers!" idea.
Unfortunately, whatever is happening, happening only to that one live system.

> ... and for the record, I'm not a developer, so this would most likely
> be my last reply to this thread.

I know :) Your help is nonetheless appreciated.

>> That's how I landed at current situation.
>> God bless my preparations, I had a backup plan to login to the host after
>> container did not start with a reboot.
>> And God bless apt cache, I were able to downgrade LXC to get container back
>> running.

> Good catch with the backup plan.

> If you use btrfs or zfs root, there's also alternate root setup with
> snapshot/clone that would help in this situation, but that's a
> different story for another time.

I did mean an alternate login to the host. Which is a little less convenient
to use (it is key-restricted), but allows me to login in the events like this,
when domain controller is unavailable for whatever reason.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...