[lxc-users] LXC 1.1.3 update blocks container startup.

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Oct 5 14:33:25 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 9:19 PM, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex.ru> wrote:
>> What lxc version did you say you were using?
>
> Were using - 1.1.2.
> Then I got an upgrade and my DC didn't came up after a host reboot.
> Had to roll back to 1.1.2 to recover operation.

So to reconfirm, you now run 1.1.2, which is fine?

The earlier error report was when you use 1.1.3?

>> You said "why 1.1.2 start fine", so I had thought you were using
>> 1.1.3. Yet those lines show you're still using 1.1.2. If 1.1.2 works
>> fine, then what version are you having problems with?
>
> LXC 1.1.3 - doesn't start with system boot, nor after boot.

It should. If not, then it's a bug.

>> the simplest "fix" would probably be to run "apt-get upgrade" (which should
>> upgrade everything, including lxc to 1.1.3),
>
> And break it again, third time in a row?...

This is where a test system would be handy.

If you're willing to contribute some effort, you could setup another
machine (or, VM. 1GB memory is more than enough), setup a similar
system, and at least verify whether or not the errors with 1.1.3 and
precise is reproducable. You'd going to need it anyway if you're going
to follow Serge's troubleshooting steps, since I believe it should be
run on 1.1.3.

... and for the record, I'm not a developer, so this would most likely
be my last reply to this thread.

> That's how I landed at current situation.
> God bless my preparations, I had a backup plan to login to the host after
> container did not start with a reboot.
> And God bless apt cache, I were able to downgrade LXC to get container back
> running.

Good catch with the backup plan.

If you use btrfs or zfs root, there's also alternate root setup with
snapshot/clone that would help in this situation, but that's a
different story for another time.

--
Fajar