[lxc-users] re Cockpit-like frontend for LXD?

brian mullan bmullan.mail at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 13:22:01 UTC 2015

I've not seen any project announce such a tool yet.

In one sense I think what Canonical has been planning & working toward with
the OpenStack & the nclxd/LXD Neutron plugin coupled with Juju for the
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS release next April
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD3w9_5bP5s> sometime
is going to enable much of what Cockpit appears to do and perhaps quite a
bit more.

I'm hoping a properly enabled LXD OpenStack would let me use OpenStack
"services" <https://www.openstack.org/software/> to deploy, orchestrate,
monitor and manage and LXD containers/server created in OpenStack.

Services such as...

OpenStack Heat service for orchestration
<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat>

Horizon - OpenStack's Dashboard
<http://docs.openstack.org/developer/horizon/>

OpenStack's Ceilometer - the telemetry service
<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Telemetry>

On top of what all the above might provide the integrated use of those
Canonical projects (LXD, Juju, the NCLXD Neutron plugin
<https://github.com/lxc/nova-compute-lxd> etc)... you then can deploy any
of the many existing Juju Charms for Applications
<https://github.com/lxc/nova-compute-lxd>.

However, with what I've already seen with LXD on my 15.04 & 15.10 tests I
would expect many new tools to appear around LXD...

But there are lots of projects I think are close to something similar...

Some like Proxmox, who with their just released v4.0,
<https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-ve> switched from openvz to LXC I would
think eventually enhance that with LXD if nothing else but because it would
make managing remote LXC containers simple.

KaanalNet <http://kaanalnet.org/> - although designed to help learn SDN
technologies uses LXC containers instead of only the network namespace
pieces of liblxc like the Mininet network emulator does.

With KaanalNet you could run real payloads in the LXC containers it
manages.    By its nature I'd expect that eventually KaanalNet will
incorporate LXD to enhance its existing LXC capabilities.

However, both of the above implemented LXC but no LXD support yet.

But as I said I'd expect alot of developers looking at LXD because of its
REST api coupling to multi-server LXC container orchestration but also
because the LXD cli syntax is really pretty simple to follow imho.

It would also be great to see a developer take the cockpit source & add LXD
capabilties to it as well.