[lxc-users] Ubuntu container IP address

Jäkel, Guido G.Jaekel at dnb.de
Fri Nov 20 08:21:14 UTC 2015

Dear Robert,

now it become a meta discussion at all. But in fact it was such one since you start. Because, in core you don’t ask help or a solution, you just want to complain about the level of knowledge to use LXC in comparison to similar tools.

Break here, if you can't agree to this!

But accepting this, you have to accommodate that this is a LXC mailing list, not a Ubuntu mailing list. Furthermore, LXC is not a part of Ubuntu but it is a Linux open source project. Of course, it's widely sponsored by the Ubuntu company (MANY THANKS!). And in my eyes it's absolute justifiable to earn from it. But's a pure Ubuntu decision to include (or even pre-install?) it in their common distro and/or to advertise it. And Ubuntu is responsible for the delivered pre-configuration, LXC itself is delivered in an absolutely unconfigured state as almost any other open source package. And hey, it's their first try to make it tasty for their broad community. May you take this into account and be a little bit more patient?

Getting some "geek stuff" into common use is in largely parts not a technical thing. And I see people like you coming at horizon right after I read about the announcement to official include LXC into Ubuntu. The word "Ubuntu" is strongly connected to some claims, maybe "easier to use than others"  - that's probably why you  choose it. And you transfer this to LXC, because you think it's a part of Ubuntu. That's comprehensible, but unfortunately for you: It's wrong. I clearly understand your demands and problems. I simply would recommend *you* to use the product you feel comfortable with. Full stop.

To get an idea for what the "tone" on this list, you may study it for a few moments. You'll see, in spite of it is named a "user list", it's have a very technical background. I would say, it's one level above the "devel list" and in kidding terms the difference between the people is, that the "users" will not write code but are familiar to use gdb or strace. Yes, the user list was maybe thought as some kind of newbie list.; as a vehicle not to flood the devel list with no-core stuff. This still holds, but the definition of a newbie has shifted.

Did we need another "lxc newbie" list to serve this new leveling? The "Ubuntu" level might be served by the Ubuntu support channels. And people that choose another distribution than Ubuntu typically will have another level of knowledge. And that level is very well served here by a special couple of very active members but also by a lot of others, I think.

Greetings from a non-Ubuntu user

Guido