[lxc-users] lxcbr0?

Robert Koretsky bobk48 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 22:22:09 UTC 2015

I have successfully installed and created/started LXC containers on Ubuntu
15.10, but cannot get them to be visible on my home network. I do an
ifconfig on both the host and in a container, and see the IPv4 address of
lxcbr0 as 10.0.3.1, but after reading many references cannot figure out how
to get my router to assign the container an address, like 192.168.0.20 say.
I think one of the purposes of containerized OS's is putting web-facing
stuff in them securely. So I don't follow the reasoning behind putting the
container in it's own sub-net with the host, and then not having some
readily available docs to explain how to get the container to face the
network. Someone at Ubuntu forums suggested that since many networks have
different configurations, explaining how to hook up LXC to all of them
would be difficult.
Not to bash LXC, I think it's a great piece of software, but in VirtualBox,
or PCBSD Jails, Solaris Zones, bridging the VM guest NIC is almost a
trivial operation. Not so in LXC, IMHO.
And I have a vanilla installation of Ubuntu 15.10 running on dedicated
hardware, and the default LXC packages from the Ubuntu repository.
I would appreciate anyone coming up with some clearly articulated procedure
for bridging lxcbr0, so I can either have it automatically assigned an IP
address by my router, or even done manually somehow.
Thanks!
Sincerely,
Robert M. Koretsky