[lxc-users] properly shutdown jessie container on wheezy host

Alex Mestiashvili alex at biotec.tu-dresden.de
Fri Nov 13 16:10:46 UTC 2015

Depending on the version of lxc, lxc-stop behaves differently.

In the version I use, lxc-stop kills all the processes inside the
container which can lead to problems if you run a database server for
example.
That's why there is a separate tool - lxc-shutdown which stops a
container and waits for the processes to exit gracefully.
In newer versions of lxc with lxc-stop one can reboot, cleanly shut
down, or kill a container....

Regards,
Alex