[lxc-users] Ubuntu: Can't upgrade from 15.10 Wily to 16.04 Xenial in LXC container

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Nov 2 07:15:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 10:25 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list at fajar.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 11:10 AM, MegaBrutal <megabrutal at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Greetings, MegaBrutal!

>> > Did you install the new kernel on the host first?
>> >

>> The host is running with kernel 3.19.0-30-generic. (It's still Vivid,
>> because thanks to completely unrelated bug #1509717, I must hold back
>> upgrading the host.) However, if you want me to test with newer
>> kernels, I can do it in KVM. Is it OK if I just test with the Wily
>> kernel, or do you want me to try the latest vanilla kernel?
>>

> Since 16.04 is not even alpha yet, I doubt your bug report will be a
> priority. I recommend you test again after first alpha is released.

FWIW, I can upgrade succesfully with apt-get. This is with fully up-to-date
wily packages (including kernel and lxc. lxc is from wily repository, not
from ppa).

"do-release-upgrade -d" failed for me due to a problem
with friendly-recovery (which do-release-upgrade insists on installing,
even when it was not installed before) that runs grub-probe, which fails
inside the container.

However when doing it manually, it works (and it does NOT install
friendly-recovery in the upgrade process) :
- create /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xenial.list with appropriate content
- apt-get update
- apt-get install apt dpkg
- apt-get dist-upgrade

In both cases, I do NOT get the hang you mentioned in the bug report. So
you might want to try with a fresh system, or at least a fully up-to-date
packages.

--
Fajar