[lxc-users] Juju use of lxd

Tim Penhey tim.penhey at canonical.com
Fri May 15 04:03:41 UTC 2015

Me again,

Juju uses lxc by default for the local provider. I'm intending to drive
a piece of work along with a few other core developers to write a lxd
provider.

To get things started, I need to work out how to do the following:

1) Create a template container as the basis for the juju machines.
   This needs to pass a cloud-init file in.

2) Create a clone of the template passing in another cloud-init file.

We'd like to use the Go library that wraps the REST api already.

With the old local provider, we were able to catch the output during the
creation of the template container in order to make sure the container
creation finished successfully (we added a simple upstart script to
shutdown the container at the end of cloud init) as the container had to
be stopped in order for the clone that follows to work.

Q) is this possible in user space?  Ideally we want to avoid asking the
user for their password to create the containers as root (as we
currently do).

Thanks in advance for suggestions or pointers.

Tim