[lxc-users] Assigning IPv6 to a container + lxc-net config question

Robert Pendell shinji at elite-systems.org
Thu May 14 11:40:48 UTC 2015

Ok so this should be easy right?  Here is what I got going on so far
through some testing.  It isn't fully implemented but I want to test
it all out first before it goes live.

Anyways my host is Linode (as I've mentioned in some prior emails) and
on their network they have mac security enabled so only authorized mac
addresses get routing.  That's fine.  So far I've got this.  It will
allow a LXC container to use a public facing ip directly without the
need for iptables rules.

net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
net.ipv4.conf.eth0.proxy_arp=1

Leave the target ip off the primary interface and put a route entry on
lxcbr0.  Assign the ip to the container in a static manner.
Traceroutes still show the VPS IP and traffic still appears to be
coming from the VPS when I connect outbound still.  That's ok.

What I'm trying to do is something similar with ipv6 but I can't
figure out the configuration.  I think I need to use proxy_ndp but I
don't know how to get it setup.  Does anyone have any tips that would
help?  I have a /64 ipv6 subnet available so if I need to use radvd or
such to internal broadcast a small /96 or something then that is
doable.

Now then for the lxc-net configuration.  Currently lxcbr0 is built
during lxc-net initialization.  This is fine but for my setup I will
need to add a route for the public facing ip when I get to that.
What's the best way to modify the interface configuration at boot?

Robert Pendell
shinji at elite-systems.org
A perfect world is one of chaos.
Keybase: http://keybase.io/shinji257