[lxc-users] LXC to LXD conversion

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue May 12 14:33:41 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 10:10:08AM +0200, Paweł Kobyliński wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm currently deciding whether to use plain LXC od LXD for my new project
> and I have a two questions:
>
> 1. How do you specify which backingstore to use when creating new container
> with 'lxc launch'?

LXD isn't nearly as flexible as LXC in that regard. Currently it will
either do dir-backed containers in /var/lib/lxd/lxc or btrfs-backed if
/var/lib/lxd/lxc is on btrfs.

We'll very soon be adding LVM VG support.

As LXD must manage the storage backed for things like quotas, snapshots,
migration, ... we'll likely never offer access to all the backingstores
supported by LXC.

> 2. Since I'm leaning more towards using plain LXC for now I'd like to know
> if there will be some simple tool to migrate from LXC to LXD? Or maybe just
> copying rootfs directory from old LXC container to newly-created LXD
> container will suffice?

We've not been working on any such tool so far, but yes, it shouldn't be
too difficult. The rootfs will be compatible and the only thing that may
need some manual work is converting any specific container config to
LXD's config model.